Sunday, May 17, 2015

I love my Cricut....and a bit of Mojo

So for Mother's day, I got to buy a few things for myself at my favorite store Michael's.  In that trip, I finally broke down and bought the Cricut Scraper tool and pallet knife.  I have had a Cricut for years but have never bought these tools.  What was I thinking?  This opened a whole new world to me with my Cricut.  I actually, cut out a intricate design, used these tools, and got it off the mat without tearing it.  I am in love with my Cricut all over again.  Now I am going to go on to harder things and starting using it to cut other things besides paper and cardstock.  I know! I heard you gasp.  I have yet to go beyond these simple tools but now I will be pushing myself to try something new.

So with my handy new tools I decided to try everything out and participate in this week's Mojo Monday Sketch # 397.  I stuck with the Thank you theme once again.  I have another card I will share later this week that is....are you ready?  A Birthday Card.  Yeah, something different.

So here's my take on the sketch.
  
I started out with a 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 black base using Recollections Cardstock.  I added a 5 1/4 x 4 inch white panel.  Then a strip of Recollections silver tape went down about 2/3rds down from the top.  Over this I placed a beautiful red rectangle from the Edge to Edge cartridge.  I sized it 2 1/2 inches wide by 3.75 tall.  
I added sentiment in Black StazOn ink to a circle I punched out of white cardstock.

I then went back to my cricut and cut out 3 flowers from the Flower Shoppe cartridge in red cardstock.  I have never tried to make these flowers that you roll up before, so I gave it a shot using my new EK sucess tweezers (Again, how have I done without these tweezers?).

I wrapped these up and used some Ranger Glossy Accents to get them glued together.

For the black and creme banners at the top a took a piece of paper out of my stash.  I die cut the banner out using Papertrey Ink's die, cut it in half and placed it on my card.  The one piece on top I popped up on foam.

It was fun trying out new products.  I also pushed myself a bit to do a few things I have never done.  All in all, I liked how it turned out.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Hi Samantha--I can truly appreciate your Cricut accessories/tools story, because I did the exact same thing that you did. It was my husband who encouraged me to get the spatula and other parts, because he believes/believed that you always need the right tools to get the job done...even if its crafting. :) The Edge to Edge Cricut cartridge just got added to my crafting wish list because of this card. The intricately-cut layer is perfect for all of the other elements, as well as the color scheme, that you selected and created for this piece.